Πέμπτη 25 Νοεμβρίου 2010

Deep Freeze. Unfreeze it.

Article Skills Requirements:
Technician: 7

Windows: 5
Linux:5
General: 7


One big mistake you may do believe is wrong.
Deep Freeze CAN become unfrozen, without any prorgam, and ofcourse without knowing the password.
We are talking about the 7.20 version, but as long as deep freeze doesn't know about this post, it may also work on newer versions as well.

The explanation:
Now I will explain what exatly does Deep Freeze.

Deep freeze is a driver. When you boot in frozen mode, it simply loads the driver of deep freeze instead of the NTFS driver (or FAT32 whatever it makes frozen) for the particular disk partition.
This driver simply doesn't exactly save any work on the hard disk.

The hole:

As long as deep freeze is a driver we can simply boot without using it and make changes to the files on the partition.

The way:
  1. Get a copy of a linux distribution which supports LiveCD (I use Ubuntu 10.04)
  2. Burn it, put it in the tray and then reboot in Linux without installing it.(In these steps you could use a usb stick instead of a CD-ROM. You can find out more about these on http://www.ubuntu.com/)
  3. Now you will need to mount the local drive the windows frozen OS is.
  4. Next you will need to go to the drivers' folder. Usualy it is: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers"
  5. Now find the file called "DeepFrz.sys". As you may have noticed, this is the deep freeze driver's file.
  6. Make a backup of it. (Remember you booted on linux so any changes take effect.)
  7. Delete the file "DeepFrz.sys".
  8. Now find the normal "ntfs.sys" system driver. This is called at boot time in thawed mode.
  9. Copy and paste it. Rename it as "DeepFrz.sys"
  10. Thats the main of it. Now when the computer tries to boot in frozen mode, it will call the file "DeepFrz.sys" at boot which indeed is the "thawed" driver "ntfs.sys". So now reboot without the LiveCD in the CD-ROM tray.
  11. Now run the deep freeze installation file and select "Uninstall". (Edit: Even if you don't uninstall your computer will stay unfrozen.)
  12. It should complete wthout problems.
This is risky!! If you do something wrong the computer may boot with a blue screen or not boot at all.
In this case boot back into linux and replace the DeepFrz.sys file with its backup.

NOTE: The reason I made this tutorial difficult to understand is that I do not want everyone to be able to bypass Deep Freeze, because it was quite hard for me to find out so I believe you should know the basics to be able to bypass it.
 IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR OWN COMPUTER WITH DEEP FREEZE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AFTERWARDS AND EXPLAIN BETTER ALL THESE STEPS.
NOTE 2: (Edited) This will work on any deep freeze version up to 7.20.020. I've tested it.


Well thats it, if you need any help I would be grateful to help you unfreeze your computer. Simply comment.
Please subscribe if you liked this.

11 σχόλια:

  1. This is trully a very good guide !!!!!!!!
    I had no problem to follow all the steps and finally managed to boot in my Pc without the disguisting bear icon .
    I only have one question .
    If I will make any changes , will I be able to save them and when I restart , without of course uninstalling Deep Freeze , keep my new settings in a frozen mode??????
    To be more specific , I want only to make some changes to this Pc and but it back to frozen mode . The problem is that the owner of the laptop have no idea about the password , so he kindly asked me if I could find a way and overcome , at least only one time in order to make some changes !
    Thank you very much in advance and congradulations for your work ! Really really helped me and must admit , that this is the ONLY solution that really works !!!!!!
    You are the best !!!!!!!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  2. Hmm... Sorry for the late answer, but anyway...

    There are 2 things possible.

    1) Uninstall Deep Freeze, make any changes you want, then, freeze it again. This is truly a long one.
    2) For the time you boot thawed, it will be possible to make any changes that will last, but I wonder if after the next reboot the machine will still be thawed. I'll have to check it out and tell you some time today.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  3. I just tested and it seems that the computer will stay thawed even after the second reboot (or forever if you prefer.)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  4. I tested it also and it is true that the pc keeps being thawed on each reboot ! This is heaven isn't it????It seems that you can do all the changes you like and if you want to refreeze it you must reverse the procedure !!!!!
    You were very helpfull and a very good teacher giving all the needed steps in order to solve this problem ! I must say for once more that this is the only solution that really works !!!!!
    Keep up the good work !!!!!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  5. After you make changes, and if you reverse the steps to re-freeze the computer, will your changes be saved?

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
    Απαντήσεις
    1. The changes will be saved, though I have recently found a faster way to do the whole process. I may upload a video soon ( for the new deep freeze for windows 8 ).
      If I do so, I will post it here.

      Διαγραφή
  6. I'm sorry, but i got a problem..
    After step 10 and restart the pc, i got blue screen like you said before. So what can i do to fix this.
    I have a problem with my pc that in thawed mode, this windows got an update. And my friend forgot to thawed again after this update. Now it stuck on installing update (after restart). Endless loop.
    I hope you can help me fix this. And thank you for your tutorial.. :)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή