Πέμπτη 17 Μαρτίου 2011

Toshiba Satellite Ubuntu

Well, I recently bought a Toshiba satellite laptop and I wanted of course to install Ubuntu to it.

If you are a linux user you will probably know that most linux distros use 2 partitions on the hard disk drive and they both need to be primary.

Coming to the windows 7 (Home Premium Edition which is preinstalled to the system) disk manager I was really unhappy to see that there were already 3 primary partitions on the disk.
Since these partitions are needed I thought it would be a good idea to try and install 5 primary partitions on the disk, as I had done some months earlier on my desktop computer and it had worked as expected.
Completing the installation of Ubuntu 10.04, after 2 or 3 restarts I only came to the login screen (of Ubuntu) with a not working keyboard.

Because the 3rd partition is used by windows for backup, I wasn't able to delete it as my system would not work properly.

What to do if you need Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite?

These are the steps you need to do to finally get Ubuntu 10.04 working on your laptop:

Here is how to backup the recovery partition and have it saved as a virtual drive:
http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Copy_System_Partition_to_VHD_or_VMDK_with_Image_for_Windows_80073645

Now go the disk management in windows (Right Click Computer->Manage->Disk Management) and delete the Data partition (the one you made the backup).

Here you may want to extend the windows partition to gain space usable on windows.
Then install Ubuntu using the largest continuous free space when asked where to install.

Now they should run properly.
For the wireless see the next post here.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου